Extraordinary Eucharistic Ministers
Extraordinary Eucharistic Ministers distribute communion to the assembly. Ministers must have an awareness of the beauty and dignity of this position. Open to members 16 years and older who have received the Sacrament of Confirmation. Ministers are trained and scheduled every four weeks. A captain is assigned to the group and quarterly schedules are mailed to you listing the dates you will serve.
Note: Before mass, check with your captain at the Parmenter St. Entrance for place assignment.
- Go to sacristy during Sign of Peace and clean hands with the hand sanitizer by the sink then proceed to the sanctuary. Stand close to the altar. Captain gets ciborium from tabernacle.
- Priest distributes Bread to ministers.
- Four Cup Ministers receive cup from priest, drink, then give it to one person. (Don't forget servers and cantor.)
- Wait until all ministers have received then go to designated places. Back Bread Ministers should be sure Cup Ministers are in place before starting to distribute. Cup ministers, don't stand too close to Bread Ministers. (Go halfway down pew.)
- Front Bread Ministers - one distributes to handicapped, then the cry room (bread only to cry room), the other does both lines until the second bread minister returns. When finished, one Bread Minister goes to back section to refill ciborium. Return vessels to side table and go to your pew.
- First person to finish, put tray on side table. Last Bread Minister to return to altar puts all remaining hosts in chapel tabernacle. Close doors and have key vertical in lock. Return key to sacristy after 5:00 p.m. and 11:00 a.m. Mass.
- All ministers go to sacristy after mass. Consume Consecrated Blood. Wash 4 cups after each Mass. You need not wash the ciboria.
- Captain Check List
- Arrive 15 minutes ahead of time.
- Make sure all stations are assigned.
- Cup/Bread Ministers
- Slightly raise host/cup, make eye contact with each person as you say “the Body/Blood of Christ.”
- If you should drop a host, stop, pick it up and put it in your hand under the ciborium and consume it after you have finished distributing.