Mass Server assists the priest during Mass. It is a great way to learn more about the Mass. Open to youth (5th grade or older) and adults. Training is provided. Quarterly schedules are mailed and rotation is approximately once every four or six weeks.
- Arrive 15 minutes before mass time (if you are not on schedule, check the sign-in sheet to see if servers are needed.)
- Sign in with the distributors on the sheet by door to sacristy.
- Check color of Fathers vestment, hanging on hanger by door.
- Go to Server’s room downstairs, wear an Alb (a long white robe) that is 4 inches off the floor, use a cincture (the rope) the same color as Father’s vestment.
- When ready, come back up and light the candles. Use the candle lighter/snuffer hanging on the large mirror.
- Check with Father or anyone else if there is something else that you can do.
- At proper time, (Father will tell you), one server takes the cross from its stand and everyone goes to the back of the church.
- The server with the cross will lead the procession. Wait until the first verse of the entrance hymn starts. The lead server should walk at a slow pace to Father’s chair in front of the cross. The server with the cross stands on the left; the other server goes to the right. Wait for Father, make a bow to the cross.
- Server with cross, take it to the sacristy and put it back on stand. Come back in and go to server kneelers. Server on the right goes directly to server area. Please fold your hands at your waist, rather than stand with your arms hanging at your side. If you watch the congregation, you will know whether to stand, sit or kneel.
- Pay attention to Father; when he says, “Let us Pray”. Bring the sacramentary (the red book on the stand by you) to Father and hold it so that he can open the book and read the first prayer.
- When Father finishes the prayer, close the book and place it on the center of the altar. Go back to the server area.
Liturgy of the Word
- Listen to the readings and Father’s homily.
Preparation of the Gifts
- When Father sits in his chair after the petitions, you should set up the altar. Take the 4 wine cups and cloths from the table on the left (leave the silver tray) and place on the left side of the altar. Take the plastic holder for the book back to the small table.
- Place Father’s chalice in the middle of the altar, and the ciboria (gold cups with hosts) and Father’s paten (gold plate with large host) on the right side of the altar.
- Go back to server area. When Father stands, one server go with him and meet the gift bearers. Father will hand you the wine cruet. Go back with him and stand to his left. At the same time; the other server should go to the shelf behind the server area and bring the water cruet, dish and towel to the altar. Take the stoppers off the cruets and offer them to Father at the proper time. He will pour some wine and water into the chalice and return the cruets to you.
- Next, Father will wash his hands when he puts his hands over the dish, pour a small amount of water over his fingers. He will dry his hands and give you the towel back. Take everything (both cruets) back to the shelf. Go back to your regular place.
- Please pay attention to and participate in the prayers.
Sign of Peace
- Exchange a sign of peace with Father and each other.
- Join the distributors around the altar when they come forward. Receive the Body of Christ and the cup, if you want. Return to your place and kneel. During the distribution of communion, bring the red book back to the stand by you.
- When Father and the rest come back, he will purify the chalice. Bring the water cruet and pour a small amount in the chalice. Take the cruet back to the shelf. One server should take Father’s chalice after he is finished and place it back on the small table.
- When Father stands and says, “Let us pray”, take the red book over and hold it so that he can read the final prayer. When the prayer is completed, return to your area and put the book on its stand.
- Father will bless us and remain standing facing the congregation. Father and the congregation will sing the first part of the hymn, then go down the steps, in front of the baptism fountain, join him, and bow with him and turn to exit. Father will tell you which exit.
- At the exit, take Father’s hymnal and head back to the sacristy. Extinguish the candles using the candle snuffer. Don’t blow them out, wax flies everywhere.
- Take the water dish, water and wine cruets and towel back to the sacristy. The cruets should be put in the refrigerator, the water dish emptied in the sacrarium (the covered side of the sink), the dish and a towel should be put back on the server's shelf.
- Hang your Alb (robe) and cincture (rope) in its closet downstairs.
- And you are done. Thanks for your help!
Thoughts to Remember
- Always move and walk in a dignified way. You don't want people to be staring at you.
- When not busy, fold your hands at your waist.
- Remember you are in church, you should pray along with the rest of us.