Assist with the weekend and Holy Day liturgies by taking up the Offertory collection, assisting parishioners in finding a seat, handing out bulletins and straightening up the church after Mass. Training is provided and a captain is assigned to the group. Quarterly schedules are mailed and rotation is approximately once every four or six weeks.
Call your captain if you are not available to usher as scheduled.
- Check in with your captain before Mass begins.
- Welcome people at church entrances.
- Parents with small children may want to use the Cry Room; or the Nursery (located on the 1st floor of the Religious Education Building) during the 9:00 and 11:00 Masses.
- Balcony can be opened at crowded Masses. Ask the Usher Captain for the key to the balcony gate.
As Mass Begins
- Escort to the side aisles, those arriving after Mass begins; Do not seat people during the readings and Gospel, wait until after the Gospel is proclaimed.
- Courtest signs are placed on the doors near the altar at the start of Mass, and the wooden doors should be closed during Mass.
- When the balcony is open, direct people to right side aisle.
Taking the Collection
- Proceed to front when people are seated after the petitions are read. It is not necessary to genuflect. Begin handing the baskets to the nearest person, include cry room and balcony.
- Gather all monies in offertory basket.
- Monetary gifts are presented with the offertory gifts. Please place the basket under the center of the altar.
- Proceed to positions when Presider and Eucharistic Ministers receive Communion. Direct people to center aisle.
At Close of Mass
- After Communion when the Presider is seated, ushers proceed to their stations with the bulletins. After the blessing, the exit doors are opened.
- An Usher assigned to pick up the collection bag gathers the monetary gifts and waits in the sacristy until the bag is picked up by the money counters. Return empty basket to the gift table.
- Check all pews, replacing books/envelopes to holders and take any forgotten items to the Usher’s room. Replenish any hand-outs, if needed, and place them at the end of the pews for the next Mass.
- 5:00 and 11:00 Ushers close all doors and windows, turn off lights, return the courtesy signs to ushers' room, and lock Ushers' Room.
In Case of an Emergency
- Assist the person to the nearest exit and see if a Doctor is in church.
- Call EMS at 911. A coin is not required for the pay phone in lobby.